Affiliate marketers have long been cursed with the maintenance of tags – inserting, changing and deleting them to fit the requirements of different campaigns and varying attribution models.
Many website owners, seeing the power of information, are also using web analytics to make informed business decisions based on the data collected from their website.
- Difficult/slow to implement – the tag requires code entering onto the webpage’s HTML (which is potentially beyond the average person interested in the analytics) and typically has to be entered by an IT professional.
- Difficult to maintain – changes to tags as your website develops or marketing initiative are introduced are again likely to be difficult or slow to transpire, often relying on a third party to execute. Additionally, failure to maintain and introduce tags correctly can lead to inaccurate or incomplete reporting making reporting meaningless.
- Slows down sites – Failure to maintain tags can lead to the site becoming cluttered with unnecessary code, potentially slowing down page load time.
- Expensive – using third parties such as your web development team to implement regular tag changes can be costly.
Fortunately a solution is at hand…… a Tag Manager. A Tag Manager is essentially a piece of code (a container) that is inserted into the website only once and then “contains” all of your tags, this allows you to manage your tags through a user friendly interface, thus putting you back in control of your measurement without having to introduce a new code.
The Google Tag Manager is a free, simple to install product that offers many benefits:
- Easy to use interface – an intuitive way to create and install the tags that you need onto your website.
- The ability to start tagging and tracking in seconds – create the tag, execute and start tracking immediately.
- Test & debug – test your creation before putting on to your live site.
- Works with Google & non-Google tags – whatever the analytic package you use, Google Tag Manager will create and manage those tags.
- Control to the analytics experts – management and creation of tags can be given to the people who need it; the analytics experts.
Other Tag Managers have a cost, but may be preferable if you have a lot of different tags as they have turnkey integration with many more digital marketing vendors, thereby saving development time writing tags.
At eLignum our consultancy and training services can help you get the most from your analytic reporting by implementing a Tag Manager and/or maintaining it.
Contact Us for more information on Tag Management solutions.